Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Challenging Statistics by “Skin Cancer Foundation”

Statistics dated 2008 state that 1 in 5 Americans will get skin cancer in their lifetime. Well, I have 4 brothers and sisters. If I also include my mom and dad, this disqualifies that statistic so far. What do they mean by skin cancer? There are a few forms of it, but they have not specified. “According to an Alberta research paper just out; non melanoma skin cancer rates have been dropping since 2001 – approximately 12.6% drop up to 2010.”
Here is another statistic on their website. Up to 90 percent of the visible changes commonly attributed to aging are caused by the sun. What about smoking? So, if sun is aging someone 90% than smoking can only age you 10%? I know people who smoke, and they look way older than someone who tans. Now, I am not saying someone who tans habitually and has alligator skin. That look is OUT! There is nothing wrong with moderate tanning to have a light, bronze glow. If you are caring for an elderly family member by yourself, you age. I know because I was there. People noticed it; they said something. Now that I have had help to care for my mom, people are now saying I look younger again. So, what type of percentage is accurate to place on the sun/UV?
1.Gilroy, Steve. “What are the Real Numbers in Canada?” Smart Tan Magazine. November 2010: 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment